- Duration: 3-10 days (may last longer if the activity is pursued, micro-traumatisms repeated)
- Vascular response to the injury: brief initial vasoconstriction followed by rapid excessive vasodilatation.
- Cellular response: influx of neutrophilic and basophilic leukocytes and macrophages
- Goal of treatment: Diminish the inflammatory response
- Duration: 2-4 weeks
- Production of collagen with the migration of fibroblasts.
- Goal of treatment: Direct the fibroblasts using gentle mobilizations, limit or increase premature mobility to the limit of pain.
- Duration: 4 weeks –1 year
- Re-organization of collagen tissue according to the functional demand imposed on the structure.
- Goal of treatment: Mobilization to the maximum range of motion, prolonged stretching, emphasis on function.